Here we have the best bodyweight moves to blast that fat away and leave you feeling great! Perform each of these exercises for 30 seconds at a time to begin with and gradually build up to 60 seconds by adding five to 10 second increments as your metabolic conditioning improves.
Keep your heart rate high and your rest periods between exercises at 30 seconds or less.
Finally, alternate between sets of “non-competitive” moves — i.e. switch between exercises that work your upper body and lower body or front and backside.
1. Ground Zero Jump
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes pointing forward, knees slightly bent.
- Hinge back at your hips with a flat back and reach your arms behind you.
- Explosively push your hips forward and jump up just a little (this isn’t a full squat jump).
- Land with knees slightly bent, and repeat.
2. Predator Jack
- Stand with your feet together and hold both arms straight in front of you, palms together.
- Jump your feet apart, push your hips back, bend your knees and lower into a squat while pulling your arms apart and squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Shift your weight over your right leg, and then your left leg, then right and left again before returning back to centre and standing back up.
- Gradually increase your speed and range of motion throughout the set.
3. Skater Jump
- Start with your weight on your right leg with your knee bent.
- Bend your left knee so your foot is slightly off the ground.
- Push off your right leg and jump to your left, landing softly and holding that position for a one-count, keeping your hips back and down throughout.
- Reverse the movement and repeat, gradually increasing your speed and range of motion.
4. Blast-Off Push-Up
- Start in a high plank.
- Push your hips back without arching your lower back until your knees flex to about 90 degrees.
- Pause for a beat, then explosively extend through your knees, ankles and hips while also pulling with your upper back as you lower into the bottom of a push-up.
- Keep your elbows tucked into your sides to protect your shoulders.
- Skip the push-up and just maintain a hold if you need it to be easier.
5. In-and-Out Squat
- Bend your knees, ankles and hips, keeping your feet close together.
- Jump your feet outward, landing softly and sticking it for a count, without letting your hips rise.
- Jump your feet back in.
- Keep your head and hips down throughout the movement as you repeat for 30 to 60 seconds.
6. Low Box Runner
- Place your left foot on a stable low box or step (even a sturdy phone book will work).
- Hold your right arm forward.
- Quickly alternate which foot is on the box and which is on the ground from side to side.
- Stay on the balls of your feet throughout the movement.
- Perform the move at a slower, more controlled tempo at first, focusing on nice, clean exchanges of your hands and feet, and gradually increase your speed over time.
7. Low Box Burpee
- Assume a wide sumo stance with your feet farther than shoulder-width apart and your toes pointed out slightly.
- Drop your weight into your heels and lower your hips until your palms reach the box without rounding your lower back.
- Jump your feet back into a plank.
- Reverse the movement and repeat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add height to the box if the movement is too difficult.
8. Bucking Hop
- Assume a modified plank with your elbows slightly bent and your knees bent at 90-degree angles.
- Begin by hopping your feet up and down while landing softly.
- Then hop your feet to the left, then back to the middle, then to the right, and back to the middle again — all while keeping your palms firmly planted on the floor.