If you own a six-pack then you’ll realise that it takes more than just crunches to achieve your goal. The same as if you are just starting, the last thing you want is to be bored of crunches repeatedly in your workout!
Abs, are one of the most important muscles in your body. A strong core helps maintain good posture and eliminates back pain. By having well conditioned core muscles, you will also help your gains. Compound moves, all require core stability to lift big and remain injury free. So it’s not just about looking good!
Here we have just the moves to really work your core and also work your routine! Get ready to build and sculpt those abs and also benefit other muscles too!
1. Barbell Floor Wiper:
- Lie with your back flat on the floor and your arms extended holding the barbell above your chest.
- Keeping your arms fixed straight raise your legs up to the L-shaped position.
- Lower your leg down to each side then back up without touching the floor.
2. Medicine Ball Slam:
- Standing up with your knees slightly bent lift the medicine ball directly over your head with your arms extended.
- Rise up on the balls of your feet and use your core muscles to throw the ball to the ground as you bend forwards at the waist.
- Catch the ball and repeat. The motion will not only train your abs but will also give you powerful shoulders.
3. Side Jackknife:
- Lay on your side with your left arm extended out on the floor and you right arm bent to your head with your elbow bent out.
- Make sure your right leg is on top of your left.
- Bring your right elbow to your left leg as you raise your body up, contracting your obliques and slowly lower down before swapping sides after reps.
4. Dragon Flag:
- Lie back on the bench with your hands holding the bench behind your head.
- Bring your knees up to your chest and kick out to the ceiling, raising your body with just your shoulders on the bench.
- Keep your body straight and as you slowly move down. You’ll not only feel the burn in your abs but in your lower back too.
5. Cable Woodchopper:
- Set the cable to the highest position with and stand side on to the weights with your back to the machine.
- Grabbing the handle with both hands take a step away from the tower and put your feet shoulder width apart.
- Extend your arms fully and pull the handle down and across you body whilst rotating your torso.
- Bend your knees and pivot your back foot and slowly return to the start position, swapping sides after each set.
- Lay flat on you back with your arms extended behind your head and your feet slightly off the ground.
- Pull your knees towards your chest, lift your backside off the floor and lift your arms over your head as you perform a crunch and repeat.
7. Sandbag Sit-Up:
- Lie with your back on the ground and you knees bent upwards.
- Hold a sandbag up above you with both extended arms and crunch forwards as you tense your core so your body performs a V shape with you thighs.
- Carefully lower down and repeat.
8. Hanging Leg Raise:
- Grab a pull-up bar making a V shape with you arms and lower yourself into a dead hang.
- Put your feet together and raise your legs until they are perpendicular to your torso whilst keeping them straight.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position.