Something I learned earlier this year is that, for stronger abs, you need to engage in some ab workout routines regularly. Just like other muscles in the body, men need to work on their abdominal muscles in order to have strong ab and the highly desired “six packs“.
Some of these exercises can be quite tasking, so you need to rest well intermittently and after every workout routine. You also need to eat well and eat right to ensure all your workout efforts are not in vain.
This list of moves will strengthen the core, shred your abs, aid movement, and lend better balance to the whole body. So if you’re ready for chiselled abs, here are 11 best moves to rock and strengthen your core.
Engage in these exercises according to instructions to get those six packs you have always dreamed of in no time.
This is one of the first of several ab workout routines that comes to mind when you want to strengthen your core and abs. Planks not only strengthen your core and abs, but they also work on your arms and legs.
- Go down on an exercise mat into a push-up position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your legs straight back.
- Strengthen your abs then stabilise your body by squeezing your glutes.
- Bend your elbows in such a way that they are at a 90 degrees angle by resting your weight on your forearms.
- Make sure your elbows are directly under your shoulders and your body forms a straight line from your head to your legs.
- Stay in that position for as long as you can endure.
- Repeat this 5 times every day for a week.
2. Side Plank
This is one of the several variations of the normal plank exercise. It is also as effective as a plank for strengthening your abs. Side plank help reduce spinal curvature in scoliosis patients.
- Lie on an exercise mat on one side, making sure your legs are straight.
- Lift up your upper body by using your bottom forearms.
- Strengthen your core and abs then lift your hips till your body is in a straight line.
- Continue breathing deeply as you stay in this position until you get tired.
- Roll over to the other side then repeat all the above steps.
- Repeat on both sides to complete one rep.
- Do 5 reps every day for faster results.
If you are looking for effective abs workout routines for men, don’t look beyond push-ups. Push-ups are one of the simplest and most common abs workouts to lose belly fat and strengthen your core.
- Go down on your hands and legs, balancing your body on your palms and toes and your hands a little bit shoulder-width apart.
- Ensure your body is in a straight line from your legs to your head.
- Brace your abs and squeeze your glutes throughout the course of the entire exercise.
- In one slow motion, lower your body to the ground and pause for 2 seconds, then lift up your body to return to your starting position. This is one rep.
- Do 20-30 reps every day.
4. Mountain Climber
This is one of the ab workout routines that work on your abs, arms, legs, and back. It is very effective if you want to lose belly pooch.
- Start in a push-up position such that your body forms a straight line from your head to your ankles.
- Tighten your abs.
- Lift your left foot and bring towards your chest and return quickly to your initial position.
- Switch legs and repeat the entire process using your right foot.
- Keep alternating between both legs for 30 seconds.
- Do these for about 10 minutes to strengthen your core and abs.
5. Reverse Crunch
This is just like crunches, except you do it the reverse way. There is hardly any abs workout routines article that you won’t find reverse crunches.
- Lie on the ground with your palms placed firmly on the ground on both of your sides while facing up.
- Bend your knees and hips to a 90 degrees position.
- Contract your abs and lift your hips off the ground.
- Crunch inwards. Pause for 2 seconds, then lower your legs back down slowly till the back of your legs nearly touch the ground.
- Do about 15 reps for 5 sets.
6. Leg Drop
If you want to get rid of stubborn fat and have strong ab, then leg drop is just the exercise for you. Leg drops effectively tone and strengthens your abs.
- Lie flat on an exercise mat, relaxing your neck and head, placing your hands on the exercise mat close to your shoulders.
- Brace your core muscles and lift your knees towards your ribs using your lower abs.
- Keep your lower back placed firmly on the exercise mat.
- Then lower your feet back to your starting position slowly.
- Repeat as your leg touch the floor lightly.
- Do about 15 reps for 3 sets.
7. Hip Roll
This is one of the abs workout routines that tones the belly and strengthens your abs
- Lie flat on the floor with your back down flat, legs up and your knees at 90 degrees bent directly over your hips.
- Stretch your arms out and face both of your palms upwards.
- Brace core just like someone is about to punch you hard in your stomach.
- Lower your legs to one side until you begin to feel uncomfortable while you keep your shoulders close to the floor.
- Strengthen your core and in one motion, pull your legs and return back to your starting position.
- Repeat the above steps on your other side.
- Keep alternating sides, and do 15 reps on each side for 30 reps.
8. Swiss-Ball Roll-Out
This is another of the highly effective ab workout routines you can engage in.
- Go down on your knees just in front of a Swiss ball.
- Then put your fists and forearms on the Swiss ball.
- Prop your core; then roll the ball forward slowly as you straighten your arms and extend your body up to your endurance limit.
- Then pull the Swiss ball back to your knees using your abs.
- That makes it one rep.
- Do about 15 reps for 3 sets.
9. Swiss Ball Crunch
This is one of the most effective core workouts for men that involve the use of a Swiss ball.
- Lie on the floor with your lower back, shoulders, and hips in contact with the Swiss ball and your legs placed firmly on the floor.
- Put your fingertips just behind your ears.
- Pull your elbows backward such that they are in a straight line with your body.
- Lift your head and your shoulders, and crunch your ribs towards your pelvic region, without making your hips drop or stretching your neck forward.
- Pause for 2 seconds and slowly return to your initial position.
- Do 15 reps for 3 sets.
10. Swiss Ball Reverse Oblique Crunch
This is one of the most important Swiss ball arm workout routines for strengthening your core and abs.
- Begin by lying on the floor, bending your knees at a 90-degree angle, holding a Swiss ball between your glutes and heels.
- Make sure you place both of your arms on both sides of your body.
- Brace your core and press your arms firmly on the floor.
- Then lift your body up using your hips to raise both your glutes and the Swiss ball off the floor.
- Stay in this position for about 30 seconds while you squeeze your glutes and abs.
- Then return to your starting position.
- Do 15 reps for 3 sets.
11. Swiss Ball Knee Tuck
If you want to strengthen your abs, you can still get six packs. Just do this variation of the several Swiss ball abs workout routines.
- Go down on all fours placing your feet on the Swiss ball and your hands on the ground.
- Brace core and stay balanced.
- Roll the Swiss ball into your body using your feet; then stop as soon as your knees reach your chest region.
- Roll the Swiss ball back to the initial position slowly.
- Repeat 15 reps for 3 sets.